Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Growing in Unity, DAY THREE!

Morning Unity Lovers!  Thanks for tuning in to day three of my Growing with Unity week.  Today, as promised, is my fun recycling project.  I took this little can of mandarin oranges and turned it into a...


cute little cupcake tin for my daughter.  (She has a thing for cupcakes, but who doesn't??) After removing the label (comes off really easy) and washing the tin.  I used the label as a template and marked out where I wanted the holes in my can to thread the ribbon and also used it to measure my patterned paper.  I used my crop-a-dile II (thank you GINA!) to make the holes in my tin and patterned paper. On a side note, I really haven't used my crop-a-dile that much (it's fairly new) but I was surprised just how easy it was to punch into the tin.  Then I glued on my Rusty Pickle Chocolate Truffle paper and threaded the black ribbon around the top.  Next it was on to STAMPING.  I pulled out my Unity Cupcakes A la Yummy kit and started paper piecing them with mocha and french vanilla Bazzill Cardstock and Sassafras Lass Serendipity Owl Pals Honeybunch paper. (oh I stamped the "Hey there cupcake" sentiment on the paper before gluing it to the can) So after cutting them out, I used some super cute dimensional rub-on sprinkles from 
Colorbok The Sweet Life line.  (If you haven't seen their stuff, it's SUPER cute!) For the main cupcake (see close up) I used a CTMH Red Gem as the cherry on top and some sparkly glitter glue (yes that is the name of it!). 

WOW, that was a lot of typing, I don't think I talk that much! ;)  Anyway, now that I have this super cute tin, I don't know what to put in it.  Any suggestions?

See you tomorrow for HIP HOP THURSDAY and my big project for the week! 

16 comments:

Katy said...

cute!!! the cupcakes look yummy! :)

Tanis said...

Super cute!!!
If it belonged to my daughter, I'd probably keep hair elastics or barrettes in it...or maybe all the pennies and dimes and nickels she finds lying around :)

Kathy H said...

Super CUTE!!!

StampinCathy said...

This is adorable. I just love all the details. Chocolate would look good it in and go with the theme too. (teehee)

Michelle said...

Very cute!

Robynccgirl said...

Very cute Jenn! Does she like to color? (not sure how old DD is) A set of crayons would be cute and then you could even create a little cupcake notebook to match! My youngest DD doesn't go anywhere without a pen and paper!

Jacqueline said...

This is adorable Jenn!!! Love the ribbon and the cupcake theme is the cutest!!

That would make a great marker or pencil holder if she like to color.

Sara Henton said...

What a great way to reuse a can and it makes a great holder!!

mamaT said...

you know how much i love to recycle and this project is awesome! i love it...can you make me one???? :)

jan farnworth said...

i would let her choose what to store in it, but you could get some of those valentine conversation hearts and put those it it for now. my kiddo would probably store his pennies in it.

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable!I love that you punched holes to run the ribbon through!
You could write messages on little pieces of paper and let her pick one each day......I love you, your special etc.

See you at Hip Hop! :)

Tonya

FibreJunky said...

Very cute!! Always wondered about the edges on things like that, though. How do you keep them from being sharp?

Unknown said...

I'd put my water color pencils in it on my scrap counter...cute cute cute project!

Ravengirl said...

I'm such a dork, when I read cupcake tin, I thought you meant like a cupcake holder. I have a Pampered Chef can opener, that opens the lid of a can without leaving sharp edges and you can easily place the lid back on the can. If you had this kind of can opener, then you could make those "cupcake tins" as party favors. You could serve the birthday cupcakes in them and then each party go-er could take their tin home and use it for whatever they like! What a wonderful idea you have struck upon!

V said...

Very cute. :) You could get some vanilla or cupcake scented candle, and use the tin as a candle holder. :)

Kerry said...

This is so cute! What about having it be a special treat tin filled with candies? Or keeping your daughter's hair bows/clips in it?